Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Sometimes the road is bumpy

Well tonight before I fall asleep, if I can fall asleep, I decided to update you on yet another part of my journey to South Korea...

Today is a discussion about the bumpy part of the road. 

On Friday I officially mailed via Fedex every single document that I need to have together to get to South Korea.  A signed contract, notarized degree (by both a lawyer AND the Korean consulate in Vancouver), notarized police check (again by both authorities), passport photos, on and on.  Everything was finally in order and good ol' Fedex picked everything up on Friday, delivering everything to South Korea in the wee hours of Monday morning.  My recruitment agent (Pam) emailed me asking if we could chat today, which we did later in the evening, only to tell me that the school whose contract I negotiated and signed filled the position.  I find this very strange.  Yet Pam seems largely fine with it.  Apparently this happens.  My friend Courtney mentioned this could happen, and I was starting to wonder if it was going to happen because my documents were taking a bit longer than necessary to come together (especially the police check...). 

So I am no longer going to be working at E-Bo. Young Talking Club in Osan. 

Pam has already figured out yet another school for me to interview with, for less work and more money if you can believe it!  She seems very confident that when I talk to them tomorrow they'll for sure hire me because they already sent her a contract for me.  They just want to hear my voice.  So I'm not going to hold my breath, but that does sound promising.  Also, she seems confident that now that all my documents are in order and when a school accepts me all we do is hand them everything, I should be in a position with very little wait time.

This most likely pushes my proposed departure date back a bit.  Earlier Pam was thinking I could be in Korea the week of September 13-17, now it's looking later in the month.  Pushing things back a week, maybe two.

All in all, I'm trying not to freak out about this but to accept that this is apparently part of the system and no one seems to think this is weird in Korea.  I'm concerned that my job in Edmonton ends on September 10th and my next one is starting later.  And I'm trying not to assume that it's not going to work out, as the patterns for jobs has been for me as of late.  And I'm going to try and appreciate having some down time before one of the largest changes in my life occurs.  AND I'm going to still be thankful that things have really and truly come together in lightening speed so far, considering I first looked into going to South Korea the last week in July.

So if you're reading this, pray that things come together and that I don't go crazy.  If you ask me when I'm leaving, the answer is still "I don't know for sure..." but I'm still en route to South Korea!

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like it's all working out better! More money for less work? Yes!

    Still praying that it will all work out for you to get there and love it when you're there!

    - Chels

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's probably just that they are really desperate for english teachers and will take whoever that comes through first. So don't fret... it sounds like the new place could be better anyway. and like you said, it gives you some down time before you leave and better prepare. make sure you get a plug adapter if you're planning on taking anything that plugs into the wall (like a flat iron) - but be sure it's not a bulky one or else it won't fit (the outlets are IN the wall, rather than flush with the wall). sorry to be off topic. that was just one of the mistakes i made when i went on my korea visit 2 years ago...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you, but don't fret too much, worry lines are unsightly :)

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete