Friday, April 15, 2011

BBQ (just not Korean style) and other fun things

As I mentioned in my last blog, we are most definitely in Spring in Korea!  And that means it's time for outdoor activities... specifically barbecuing!  Now, none of us foreigners live in a house with a yard or anything like that, so finding a place to have a real, outdoor grilling session is a little bit of a task.  Luckily the apartment building behind my building has a roof and even stair access to the roof.  Unfortunately... it is gross.  Like, really gross.  But Betty, Chris and I were up for the challenge of tidying it up before we could chill up there.
 The roof
 Gross junk on the roof
 More gross stuff on the roof (and I'm not talking about Chris... but more so the random stroller)
 I'm grossed out.  What these pics do not convey are also all the pieces of broken glass and just general grossness.

Now, the cleaning of the roof nicely brings up to one of my biggest pet peeves in Korea.  This is an odd pet peeve, but it drives me crazy!  Perhaps first I should tell you some things I really like about Korea, just to balance this a bit.  For example, I like that in restaurants there is a little bell on your table so that you just push that and the server then comes to see what you need.  You don't have to do the awkward wave, try to catch their eye, impatient thing.  I also like that you can go to noraebong (karoake) every month and no one judges you.  And I really love kimchi jigae.  It is my favourite food in Korea.  Delicious!

However, there are some things that drive me crazy here too.  And the one in particular I'm talking about is the length of the broom handles.  Yes... broom handles.  I will NEVER understand why every broom I have seen in Korea is about half the length as it should be thus whenever anyone sweeps, they have to be hunched over.  Hunched over awkwardly so that it causes your back to hurt if you sweep long enough.  I swear this is what causes back problems later in life.  Let me demonstrate...

See... I will never understand.  Why, I ask you?  Why?

Once the cleaning happened we could finally get down to some BBQ-ing business! 



You have no idea how good it was to have a burger!  We used ground pork instead of beef, but it was still fantastic!
 Simon and Laura enjoying the view.  Me and Betty getting in a good photo op.
 The burgers were amazing, thanks to chef Chris.  Some of us had two... one of us even had three... though I will not mention any names *cough*Simon*cough*...
 Something is clearly funny...
 Yes yes, it's a story by Betty!  Of course...  I'm sure she's regaling the tales of her famous relatives.  Namely... the Rock.  Yep.
 I'm loving the sun!
 It looks way better without as much garbage on the roof... and instead filled with lovely people!
The group! 

In other fun news... just this past Sunday I had the wonderful opportunity to sing at my church here in Korea, Sangdang Presbyterian Church.  It was such a blessing to worship in the main sanctuary with hundreds of local believers.  And I was so touched to be asked to sing.  Forgive me if you've seen the video, but if you would like to check it out... here it is:

Thanks again for checking out the blog.  Please feel free to comment, email, text, send out good thoughts, however the mood strikes you to communicate with me!  Happy Spring everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Hold the phone. I can text you? Really? Does it cost a million cents?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Steph! Talked to your dad today and he mentioned you're in South Korea... so I did some searching around and discovered your blog! Weeeeeeeeee!

    Anyway, here is a link to the page of some acquaintances that teach in SK - http://www.eatyourkimchi.com/. Simon and Martina are from Canada, have been teaching in SK for a while now, and have lots of good advice/videos/etc about life there. (In fact, there's one JUST on heating your apartment... which might have come in handy from what I hear :).)

    :D

    ~Dylan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you tired of seeking loans and Mortgages,have you been turned down constantly By your banks and other financial institutions,We offer any form of loan to individuals and corporate bodies at low interest rate.If you are interested in taking a loan,feel free to contact us today,we promise to offer you the best services ever.Just give us a try,because a trial will convince you.What are your Financial needs?Do you need a business loan?Do you need a personal loan?Do you want to buy a car?Do you want to refinance?Do you need a mortgage loan?Do you need a huge capital to start off your business proposal or expansion? Have you lost hope and you think there is no way out, and your financial burdens still persists? Contact us (gaincreditloan1@gmail.com)

    Your Name:...............
    Your Country:...............
    Your Occupation:...............
    Loan Amount Needed:...............
    Loan Duration...............
    Monthly Income:...............
    Your Telephone Number:.....................
    Business Plan/Use Of Your Loan:...............
    Contact Us At : gaincreditloan1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete