Saturday, November 6, 2010

Four weeks and counting

Time is a funny thing.  In some ways it seems to speed by so fast you can barely catch your breath.  Other times it seems to be crawling at a snail's pace.  Sometimes these feelings are simultaneous... which is how I feel about time in South Korea.  In some ways it feels like just yesterday I was at my parents' house in Edmonton, receiving word that I will officially leave for South Korea in a couple days.  In that sense I cannot believe I have been here for 4 weeks already!  In other ways, it feels like I've been in Korea for a very long time. Those are the moments when I miss home.

I'd say for the most part South Korea is still really good.  Living in Boeun and working at Samsan is still exciting and challenging in a way that inspires me.  I'm happy to have a purpose when I wake up Monday through Friday.  I love watching the kids learn.  It's definitely a good experience to exercise some independence and courage I didn't even know I had.  Like when I'm taking a bus somewhere alone or trying to communicate in a country that does not speak the same language as I do.  I'm definitely proud to be here.

I think when it comes to teaching, my "honeymoon" grace period is fairly over.  I'm sensing expectations of my responsibilities and abilities have definitely risen.  The past week in particular brought more difficulties with communicating at school.  But I do not feel discouraged.  Although language and cultural barriers exist, I still welcome the challenge and really do want to take any critique or learning moment seriously to become a more effective ESL teacher.  I find myself baffled at times over the lack of communication within the school, from the administration to teachers, or from one teacher to another.  Yet I was definitely warned by other English teachers that that would be one of the more difficult aspects of teaching in Korea, and it would continue throughout my entire year here.  It has nothing to do with me, it's just the way the school itself functions.

Here are a few points of interest that have happened over the past couple weeks since my last blog post:

- Alien Registration Card: As a foreigner in Korean, I had to apply for an Alien Registration Card, which is my foreigner ID.  One cannot get a cell phone, internet, lots of things, without first having an ARC.  So I went with one of the teachers from my school, Daheye, into the neighbouring city, Cheongju, to apply for it.  When we were going through the process with an employee at the government building, she told me that the passport size photos I had brought along for the ID card photo could not be used because my hair was covering my ears.  So I had to get new photos taken.  Luckily the gov building had a photo booth in the basement for passport photos.  So Daheye and I follow this woman through the maze of the building and finally get to the basement to a photo booth, much like the ones you see in malls in Canada where you pile your friends in to take a funny set of four photos.  When I sit in the booth the woman explains to me, in Korean, that the machine will say "1, 2, 3" and then take my photo so I have to keep my eyes open.  Unfortunately, what she actually said was that the booth says "1, 2," and then takes the photo on "3" so when she started the machine and I was preparing to keep my eyes open for after 3... the photo of me was of my eyes half closed and with a weird half smile.  She got quite upset with me and had to run back upstairs to get a token to make the machine run.  So when she finally came back to me and had to explain how to take the photo correctly I felt quite bad and did not want to repeat the experience.  Instead I decided to counteract the closed eyes and half smile as best I could... so here is the result:
 Surprised, awkward Stephanie is now on my ID card which I have to show so many people in Korea... And they pretty much laugh every time.  It's good thing I have a sense of humour! :)
 Not only that, but I have 6 copies of it!  Well 4 now, because one went to the ID card and the other went to one of the teachers at my school who found it so funny she had to keep it!
But now I have an ID card!  When means I got internet for my apartment, a cell phone, a bank account, a gym membership, so many things!  Basically you can barely sign up for anything without this card.  It's like I actually live in Korea now!

- Spiders.  Ok... if any of you know me, you know that I don't handle living creatures that are not humans very well.  Dogs I do not know kind of freak me out, bugs creep me out, anything kind of creepy crawly I do not like in general.  Korea definitely has different spiders!  And they are large.  And have yellow stripes like a bee.  And one has taken up residence on my little balcony.  I'm just going to let him have it.  He was here first.  But here's what he looks like...

This is for the Schmidt kids who keep asking me if I've seen any cool animals yet...
Also, every morning, almost without fail, I find a weird beetle looking bug in my bathroom.  So I kill it with my shower shoes and pretend like nothing out of the ordinary happened.  I think that's growth.  No need to freak out.  Mom and Dad, aren't you proud?  Only took 26 years...

- Karaoke!  Or Noraebang, as it's called in Korean.  I went with a few of the other foreign teachers in Boeun to this awesome Noraebang place!  You can rent a private room by the hour and sing as many songs as you want, with a great light show, comfy couches, drinks, food, general awesomeness!  It was such a great time!
 Simon and Laura kicked it off.  They're both from the UK.
 Chris, from the States, also being a rock star
 I love going to karaoke with people who love to sing!  Laura is definitely one of those people!
 Chris and Betty, both from the States, are my neighbours!  They have been such a great help to me with so many things!  Plus they love karaoke!  Always a plus with new friends!
 The room comes equipped with tambourines to add a special touch to all the songs.  Laura and Simon are having a go!
 We're such rock stars
 Simon is hilarious and seriously has the best moves
 Group song!
 Singing some Avril Lavigne!

-Skating!  Laura is an avid figure skater and I did grow up in Canada, so last Saturday her and I went to the ice rink in Cheongju.  Unfortunately, the rink did not rent out figure skates, which is what I am used to back home.  Laura fortunately brought hers from the UK, but I had to rent hockey skates at the rink.  Now, although I have skated since I was a kid, I'm far from good.  And then you add trying to figure out how to skate with a completely different kind of skate... well, let's just say I didn't represent Canada very well on the ice.  Haha... but at least I had fun! 
 Hockey skates
 I was very proud of myself by the end!  I got around pretty good and only became more confident as the hour went by.  I'm sure before long I'll be a pro... haha... or hopefully at least be able to stop without falling.  It's good to have goals.

- Starbucks!  I was absolutely excited to also go with Laura to Starbucks in Cheongju!  After skating we hit up the downtown area for some shopping but first stopped in Starbucks so I could get a little taste of home. 
 It's oddly comforting that no matter where you go in the world, Starbucks is the same.  Maybe some people would think that's sad, but I kind of love it.  And I love that it does change the menu a bit depending where you are so each country has a special touch.  I openly admit I was a little too excited about this excursion.
 See Laura is happy too!
Mmmmm... enjoying my Caramel Macchiato.  Splendid!  Also, I knew what I was ordering because part of the sign was in English.  That was really helpful too!


I hope that gives a little but more of a sense of what's been happening with me in Korea.  Thanks again for all the emails, comments, prayers, Skype convos, etc... I really appreciate hearing from people back home!  I'll post more as things happen. 

4 comments:

  1. Steph!!!!! I always enjoy reading about the Korean happenings in the adventures of Steponie. Especially when they involve karaoke and Starbucks! Miss you muchly!!! Loves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steponie ;) Brooklynn would like to know how big your pet spider is? Maybe you could describe it in relation to a quarter, loonie or a CD as the case may be!
    We love your updates, Richard and the girls

    ReplyDelete
  3. Korea sounds like Australia with the ID! I didn't think renting a movie at Block Buster could be so difficult! It's hard to explain how new and unusual can become common and normal. You did it beautifully! Starbucks, anywhere in the world you are, is a welcome familiarity! God bless 'em! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete